Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thanksgiving Must Make Recipes

One of the blogs and FB pages I follow (Confessions of a Stay at Home Mom) is having a recipe sharing party. After I typed my dessert recipe up in a google doc, I decided why not have a non-kid related post? So, I'm going to share my recipes this way. Maybe you'll find something new to try this year. Hope you enjoy!

My first two items will be side dishes:

Martha's Cranberry Sauce
In a medium saucepan combine 1 bag of cranberries and 1 jar of red currant jelly. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until cranberries have burst and liquid has reduced to a syrup. About 20-30 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish to cool. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve. Can be made up to 3 days ahead of time.

Now, most of you are well aware that Martha is not invited into my home very often. It is so not Martha worthy! However, ever since finding this recipe in the Nov. 2003 Everyday Food magazine, this has been my go to cranberry sauce. This year I intend to add some apple as well. Yum!

My next recipe is one I was introduced to by John's mother. I was lucky enough to receive the recipe from her good friend for our engagement party. It is another must have at our T-Day table. In fact, just typing this makes me want some NOW.

Mama Stromberg's Cranberry Relish
2 cups cranberries
1 small onion
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup sour cream
2 Tbsp horseradish

Grind berries and onion. Mix all ingredients together. Freeze. Remove from freezer about 2 hours before eating.

That's it! Can it get any easier?! This relish is a great zippy addition to your turkey. John's family has been known to enjoy it with, well.....a spoon. I haven't gotten to that point yet, but it is certainly a MUST addition to our table.

My final recipe is the last one I'll share. It is John's favorite pie I believe. He likes it so much for the past few years he has been the one to make it. This dessert is truly the best of two worlds.

Penzey's Apple Pumpkin Pie

(let's be honest here. Pie crust is bought, not made, in this house)
1 9" pie crust
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1 Tbsp arrowroot *this cannot be forgotten, just ask John*
1 tsp cinnamon, divided
1/2 tsp salt, divided
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup water
2 Tbsp butter
3 cups apples, peeled and sliced
3/4 cup solid packed pumpkin (not pie filling)
3/4 cup evaporated milk
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg beaten

Heat oven to 375

For the apple layer:
In a large skillet, combine the brown sugar, arrowroot, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp salt. Add vanilla, water, and butter. Bring to a boil stirring constantly. This will create a caramel like sauce. Add the apples and cook over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
Pour the mixture in the crust and set aside.

For the pumpkin layer:
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar, egg, and remaining salt and cinnamon.
Pour over the apple layer.

Bake for 50 minutes, or until an inserted knife comes out clean.

Note: Mixing the pumpkin layer after completing the apple layer allows the apple to set up enough to keep the pie divided. If you mix the pumpkin while the apple is cooking and pour over the apples too quickly, the two layers will mix. Trust me, don't ask how I know, just trust me. ;)

So, those are our must haves. Well, if I'm being totally honest, orange salad is on the list as well, but I figure everyone has their own version of jello salad so I'll keep mine to myself for now. Most people have not had apple pumpkin pie. If your family struggles with which one is best, try it. You will not be disappointed!

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Double cranberry, yum!! Add some orange zest to the first Martha's recipe.....makes me want some now also!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers