Tuesday, November 13, 2012

All muffins are not good muffins

My first foray into muffins was good but a mess. I made banana muffins using applesauce - a recipe from wholesomebabyfood.com. They were yummy, but crazy messy. My fault really. I made regular sized muffins. I was not yet in mommy mode I guess. I staved off muffins for a while simply because of the shear mess. Think: crumbly muffin, three kids who love to make messes, a mommy who isn't overjoyed at cleaning food where it's not supposed to be (blech!). It is a small version of the perfect storm.

Fast forward to a month or two ago. I was in a rut for breakfast, not really wanting to heat frozen waffles again. I spotted one of the blueberry muffin bags in my cabinet. You know the little bags. They make six muffins, kinda perfect for a small family (of two, not family of five). Well, they also make about 16-20 mini muffins. Mini muffins. Yep, you heard me right. Clearly at this point I WAS in mommy mode! Almost NO mess, the perfect size when torn in about half (maybe quarters for Zach), and quick to make. Mini muffins became our go to "something different" for breakfast. Blueberry or banana nut, whichever little bag I could get.

Yes, I know I should just try to make my own. I'll get there. Baby steps people, baby steps.


Last week I made banana nut muffins and Zach didn't even wait until being put in his chair! I turned around to see a little hand zip one off the plate as I was putting everything on the table!



He then went on the run:






And tried to hide the evidence:



So I just strapped him into his seat and just smiled:




Do you now see why I say maybe quarters for Zach. He tends to just put whatever size is in front of him in his mouth. The girls will bite off pieces if whatever it is is too big. Zach, why waste the time?

This past weekend I picked up two boxes of Krusteaz muffin mix. Not the bags. I grabbed blueberry and almond poppyseed. This am I made the almond poppyseed. Needless to say the kids were less than impressed. Zach still ate some, heck, he ate the most of anybody. Katie - well, lets just say she was putting it in her cup holder and if you follow my Facebook you know that is not a good thing. Addie, well, she just decided breakfast would be a little bit of pear and banana. On a normal muffin morning I feel guilty for the two or three that I eat because I could probably feed them to the kids. This muffin morning, I put six or seven in the container holding the last of the cookies. A clear sign.

So, needless to say all muffins are not good muffins. Blueberry, yum! Banana nut, yum! Almond poppyseed, clearly for adults only. I think next week we'll go back to the banana applesauce and see how those go over.

Loves!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers