Thursday, May 19, 2011

thank you for not making me a moocher mom and dad!

As many of you know my trash tv involved Dr. Phil most days.  Well today he had extreme moochers.  Whoo buddy - my parents could watch that show and be proud of all of their children.   Now mom, as we get into the touchy points here remember this is MY point of view!  :)

For those of you who haven't know me or our family most of my life here's a little background.  I'm the youngest of three.  My brother is 6 years older and my sister is 18 months older - yes, that provided some fun times for my parents over the years.  Heck, it still can because Kim and I are truly night and day in most areas of our lives.  We have learned through much trial and error that we truly love spending time together, but it is best if that time is limited (and very structured if Kim has her say).  lol (right Kim?)  Well, Kim was two years ahead of me in school, so she graduated and was in college by the time I graduated.  Lucky for me (?) she chose to go to UAA for college.  I say lucky for me because as my senior year was ending my mom had to relocate for her job.  Since I was almost out of school, her and my dad chose to move to the Seattle area.  I'm not bitter about that at all, but it sets up the point that I moved in with my sister at 18 and was "on my own" at that point.  If I missed work or got fired, I didn't have rent money or food money - so learning to be self-supportive was imperative.  Now don't think I never had my parents help, heck I still have their help.  They helped me get into a nice condo in my mid-20's by purchasing it and having me pay the mortgage.  They helped me buy my first condo on my own with a gift for part of the down payment, which John and I were very very proud to be able to pay back with interest.  Now they are being more than generous with their first grandchildren.

John has heard me talk many a time about young adults who feel entitled.  Well my gosh.  After watching Dr. Phil today I have to wonder again where society is headed.  Consider for a moment the children of the people I wrote about before who are waiting for some unknown entity to bail them out of their bad choices.  What are they teaching their children?  Both people on the show had children in the mid-20's who still lived at home completely money free. One couple had twin sons who were truly abusing their parents with their mooching and attitudes/treatment.   The other guest STOLE from his family to be able to put gas in his car and thought it was OK!!!!!  I'm thinking my children will hate me because there isn't much entitlement in my house.  Chores are chores, don't expect money for them. Allowance is different than chores.  When it comes time for college, expect to help out - there are THREE of you...dad and I will only be able to do so much!  (I hear you may have a rich aunt though :) )  And never never never expect to be home at the age of 25 without a job, not paying rent, and taking advantage of us.  Even I know how to change the locks on a door.  hehe

Those are my thoughts for the day.  My kiddos are in for a hard time and they aren't even here yet!  No, seriously, they will be loved more than I can even imagine I'm sure - but they will never be moochers!

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Love it!!!! You need to watch Dr. Phil and rant away more often! :)

OK, I think you are a LITTLE peeved that M&D moved right as you left HS...not bitter but irritable about if after all these years. :) All comments about me are fair - although that comment about being structured was a zinger!

We're on the college savings accounts but I'm with you on this one; this is not money I am saving so someone who thinks they need two years in Europe to 'find themselves' gets a free ride.

We are so fortunate that we have parents that taught us how to be financially responsible while at the same time buying us guess jeans and helping us with out first real estate purchases. Did you ever think I would tell you I hope you are just like that when the time comes? :)

Stephanie said...

No, I'm not irritable, it just made me very very conscious re: money matters. Ask John, haha. You know you like to have a plan - we discovered this on our Carolina's trip.

If my kids want to "find themselves" in Europe, they better have a good savings acct, b/c I don't know that I can support that monetarily. Not that I don't want them to go if they want, they just need a plan to survive.

Aaahh, the Guess jeans. Remember Jewel and Grandpa berating mom and dad for buying them for us? They were horrified that we wouldn't be able to support "the habit" when we were on our own. Little did they know!

Joanne said...

I can't agree with you more, Steph. I have a nephew who graduated from college 3 years ago. He has not found work in his chosen profession; in fact for a good two years, he didn't work at all! Compound that with the fact he got a DWI and he couldn't drive to look for a job! All this time, since he graduated, he has lived with his parents. Since he had no job, my brother has been paying his student loan. He does have a part time job now, but not paying anything to his parents. I love my nephew, but it just pisses me off that he mooches off his parents. And it pisses me off that his parents allow it!

You and Kim (and Randy) have wonderful parents who did an excellent job of raising you. And yes, you and Kim are so opposite, but you can now see that you are family and you love each other. Keep that thought close as you both get older. Family is so important to me these days, especially since we lost both our parents.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers