Friday, September 16, 2011

Some days are just hard

I think even Auntie Kim would agree if she were to guest post.  Today was one of those days I think.  We bought some sleep sacks earlier this week as our littles are getting a bit big to be swaddled in receiving blankets.  Really, the only blankets big enough are by Carter's and they are bigger than normal.  I'd have to think of their name, but mom and I spent a bit of time at BRUs looking at the measurements of the different receiving blankets - these are bigger than normal and actually fit the mattress of the co-sleeper we have set up in the room.  I discovered this bigger than normal size right out of the hospital as I used them for that purpose, an extra layer on the co-sleeper mattress.  Ok, enough of that tangent...  the meaning being that we are not swaddeling as much anymore.  Katie LOVES her sleep sack.  She was one who woke up when she got cold, and the fleece keeps her from getting cold at all.  That girl sleeps like a rock at night now.  Zach is just starting to use them too since he was moving his blankets around in his sleep.  Addie, we haven't used on yet, and with the receiving blankets not working as well anymore Addie was not swaddled and therefore woke up every time I put her down last night.  From the 10pm to 2am feeding we went through a vicious cycle of rock until asleep, put in "crib", flail around waking oneself up, begin process over again.  EXHAUSTING and frustrating for us both I'm sure.  Kim, feeling bad for me, kept her in the pack and play downstairs from the 2am to 6am feeding, which I pleaded John to get up for so I could sleep. 

With the help of my loving husband, I was able to "sleep" until 8:30 I believe.  Some of that was rock hard, dead to the world sleep and some was vaguely listening to an upset little hoping someone else could calm them soon enough I didn't feel I had to get up.  From the moment I got up until about 11pm tonight I would say there was a total of 1 to 1.5 hours I didn't have someone in my arms.  For some reasons all the littles were extra needy.  For most of the day Zach needed to sleep in someone's arms (reminiscent of Addie last night).  Add to that Katie and Addie feeling the same off and on - Kim and I earned our pay today... oh... wait....  drat!  Well, good thing we love getting paid in smiles, lulls in crying, funny faces, and fart noises that make us laugh.  Yes, fart noises make me laugh.  Especially when I'm changing the diaper, bottom hanging out and someone farts then smiles at you.

Proof that today was hard:
- both Kim and John took the dogs for a walk at some point.  the most exercise they have had since us getting home
- everyone indulged in a guilty pleasure once the littles went to sleep tonight.  for me, cookie dough; for kim, wine; for john, ice cream and scotch (weird combo!)
- Kim brushed her hair today... and was proud she had time to do that
- me, not so much on the hair brushing (lol)
- john gave himself a time out!  (it is very hard for him to cry uncle)

*sigh* the first of many more difficult days to come I'm sure.  For those that have stuck with this rambling post, thank you.  I am headed to bed now since hubby just implied he may get up at 2am.  If Kim does the same I may get about 5 hours of sleep straight and that would be a godsend!

To my littles:  We love you dearly, but please nap tomorrow!

No comments:

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers