Friday, October 14, 2011

Perseverance

And a tough night was had by all. It started so well. John came home about 4:15; early enough I double checked "are you home for good?". lol. He had gone in at 6am and ate lunch on the go, so left after his last mtg of the day. Woowoo I thought, until he mentioned how quick he was gonna fall asleep. Ummm, 5pm feeding? As the natives were getting restless one eye opened from the snoring zombie on the couch "can you get this one?" it croaked. Sure honey. I know he works just as hard as I do. So take note, I do love him to pieces and I am nice to him. :). Later in the evening we discussed me going to bed and him covering the 11pm feeding in return. A great plan right? We both take a turn AND mom gets some good sleep in.

Then Zach happened.

Let's just say between the two of us we hit our limit twenty thousand times over. For what we think are a multitude of reasons he started fussing after the 5pm feeding and didn't stop until about midnight. The fussing varied between the annoying whine to the blood curlting scream. Over and over. Back and forth. We did persevere! It took lots of supporting each other, maybe some tear-filled eyes, and lots of taking a deep breath and remembering how dearly we do love him. (ok, that part was after handing him off or in the five minutes of "is he gonna stay asleep? ...nope").

Unfortunately, at the end of the day we don't have any better game plan. I think we both think it's a combination of reflux pain, he was spitting up off and on and I'm sure the acid is painful, exhaustion, stubbornness, exhaustion, etc. Our difficulty is in not wanting to start him on a medicine regimen at such a young age. Reflux is common in babies, preterm especially. I believe the hope is they grow out of it. I'm not really one who wants to start a medicine at such a young age, especially if that's not really the problem. It's merely our speculation at this point. Ugh. It stinks not knowing the right thing to do. I will be discussing this with the dr at our next appointment. It's just a few weeks away.

Until then, we have proven we CAN do this on our own. Oops, forgot to mention things were going good for a while and I did crawl in bed about 10:15-10:30. John had the 11pm feeding done and all asleep, I was in dreamland, then the screaming started again. So, the plan was almost successful (for an hour anyway). I hope we try again b/c for me to get a few good hours of sleep would be life changing. (notice the time I'm posting...)


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers